WHAT WE DO
PA-NH brings the Greater New Haven community together to care for our neighbors in need. We partner with local providers to identify underserved patients with urgent medical needs and connect them with donated medical care and services generously provided by over 300 physician volunteers, Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH), and many other participating providers and partners. At the core of the program are Patient Navigators who help patients navigate the health care system, identify and address barriers to care, and ensure access to needed care in a timely fashion.
The mission and vision of PA-NH are:
Project Access-New Haven increases access to medical care and services for underserved patients in the Greater New Haven area
To be the community champion for access to care for those most in need
- Project Access and Yale-New Haven Hospital were awarded the CT Hospital Association and CT Department of Public Health’s 2014 CT Hospital Community Service Award. CHA Annual Report 2014
- We have served nearly 1000 patients and provided over $16 million in donated care to those in need since opening in September 2010. This care is provided through our expansive volunteer provider network, which includes 300+ physicians across 28 medical specialties.
- Our patients have reduced wait-times and increased show rates for medical appointments – 19 days vs. 6 weeks-1 year in local hospital specialty clinics and 3% vs. 34%, respectively. Our patients also report improved health and quality-of-life, increased ease of getting care, and high program satisfaction when surveyed one year after enrollment.
- In 2014, we presented our work at several national conferences, including the Annual Meetings for the American Public Health Association, AcademyHealth, Communities Joined in Action, and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.
- Three PA-NH staff were certified “In-Person Assisters” by Access Health CT and helped many uninsured patients obtain coverage through the new health insurance marketplace.
Project Access Board
Project Access Staff